Database Error
Message:MySQL Query fail: SELECT COUNT(*) as dataTotalCount FROM ip_comment_content_2014 WHERE comment_id = '64'
MySQL Error:Table 'ip_utvworldmovies.ip_comment_content_2014' doesn't exist
Date:Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 5:49:29 PM
Script:/post/utvwm-in-conversation-with-katie-hickman/
Database Error
Message:MySQL Query fail: SELECT * FROM ip_comment_content_2014 WHERE comment_id = '64' ORDER BY created_time DESC LIMIT 0, 10
MySQL Error:Table 'ip_utvworldmovies.ip_comment_content_2014' doesn't exist
Date:Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 5:49:29 PM
Script:/post/utvwm-in-conversation-with-katie-hickman/
Database Error
Message:MySQL Query fail: SELECT COUNT(*) as dataTotalCount FROM ip_comment_content_2014 WHERE comment_id = '67'
MySQL Error:Table 'ip_utvworldmovies.ip_comment_content_2014' doesn't exist
Date:Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 5:49:29 PM
Script:/post/utvwm-in-conversation-with-katie-hickman/
Database Error
Message:MySQL Query fail: SELECT * FROM ip_comment_content_2014 WHERE comment_id = '67' ORDER BY created_time DESC LIMIT 0, 10
MySQL Error:Table 'ip_utvworldmovies.ip_comment_content_2014' doesn't exist
Date:Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 5:49:29 PM
Script:/post/utvwm-in-conversation-with-katie-hickman/
UTV World Movies UTVWM in Conversation with Katie Hickman
UTVWM in Conversation with Katie Hickman
Posted on Thursday: 31 March, 2011 by Nabila | 2 comments

Your books take the reader to a time s/he has not seen, centuries that long passed us. How do you recreate that?
- With allot of hard work! You put your finger on what you want to write and do it. Research and Writing are the two sides of the same coin, which is why I wrote about travel, certain women who were not honored by the society. I found these stories more fascinating and moving. Stories about courtesans who did not ‘exist’, and were forgotten groups, forgotten by us. For so many years they have been ignored, their stories speak to young women.

Your work is rather women centric. Is that intentional or comes to you naturally?
- I am not saying I will not write men centric, but I have more interest in women stories. Writing about women has become fashionable today, but I am inclined. I cannot write until I am gripped and there are wonderful stories attached to them. I did not see a dividing line between the historian in me and the writer in me.

Research heavy writing. Writing about times long gone. Do you have difficulty trusting your sources while researching?
- Researching about the past means being very sure of your sources. There will be point of views but you have to make a judgement call. You have to read between lines and despite that there will always be conflicting opinions about what you research.

How do you see the relation between literature and Cinema?
- There can not be a very close relation. Film is a work of art. For the feel of it, I will watch a film, but for information, I will look at literature.

Do you think Books adapted into Movies do justice to already existing good literature?
- Entirely depends on how great the film director is.

Your favorite Adaptation.
- Dangerous Beauty based on Margaret Rosenthall’s book ‘The Honest Courtesan’.
Pride and Prejudice.
War and Peace.

Any of your books you would like to see turn into a film?
- Courtesans.

Do you watch World Cinema? Any favorites?
- Yes. Fellini’s La Strada. Muzaffar Ali’s Umrao Jaan. I was so struck by his work. It felt so true.

2 COMMENTS